Artists often ask me to "read" or interpret their collages, and I hesitate to do so. If I know you well, such as in a therapeutic alliance, I can support you to understand your inner symbolism. But ultimately, you are the best interpreter of your collages.
The soul expresses itself in metaphorical, symbolic language, and we can learn how to read it. Understanding your spontaneous collages will become easier as you more deeply understand that everything that stands out in your visual field is expressing a part of your inner world.
- When you look at your collage as a whole how does it make you feel?
- Looking at each image of your collage, identify with it by saying, "I am...
- Free write about the words in your collage.
- Contemplate what is going on in your life right now. What troubles you? What makes you feel happy? How does this relate to your collage?
Reading my own collage, using the tools above:
1. I feel...When I look at this collage I feel a sense of remembering and forgetting. Lost in the past and found again in the forward movement.
2. I am...I am finally moving forward. I am free from the past. I am remembering who I am. I am asking doubt to fade away.
3. Free write...Lost in doubt. Found in moving forward. The past is over. I am born fresh.
4. Contemplate...Doubting doubt, I am free.