Your purpose - in a nutshell - is to become who you are meant to be. Your purpose is your loving contribution. You are destined to bring something new to life. Your uniqueness will never be repeated.
You might feel a conflict between who you think you are supposed to be so as "not rock the boat" and who you are designed to be. Often our purpose conflicts with who we think we should be to belong.
Spiritual teacher Chuck Spezzano writes about how our entire psychology revolves around the conflict between expressing our purpose and the fear that obstructs our purpose.
He says, "I have found that about 85% of our problems were constructed as an obstruction to our purpose. The remaining 15% were problems that were necessary to learn lessons vital to our purpose."
You could call your life purpose your unique way of loving life. Our life purpose always involves connecting with other people in a kind and helpful way.
Progressing as a Whole
African Elder Malidoma Some explains life purpose in this way:
"Every person is sent to this outpost called earth to work on a project that is intended to keep the cosmic order healthy. Any person that fails to do what he or she must do energetically stains the cosmic order."
We are all essential. Having worked in a large hospital setting as an art facilitator, I realized that we all have a specific part to play in the organizations that we work in. The finest people I met were not always the people who were at the top of the organization. The people most on purpose were the ones who gave to their day in a way that considered the good of the whole.
We all have inklings about how we need to grow. Following each small step opens us up to more clues, further clarity, and the magic of a life on purpose. By intuitively "following our nose" we find our place in the tapestry of life.
Creative people often see things years in advance. It can take a long time to grow into a big vision. And, we need not be discouraged if our purpose does not get "finished" in our lifetime. We might live into our life purpose to a point, and then we inspire other people to carry on with our mission.
We all have a part to play. Our collective purpose is to play one instrument in the symphony of something much larger. As the Talmud says, "You are not required to finish the work, neither are you free to desist from it."
Change Is Only Found in Taking Action
Taking daily action on your intuitive promptings is absolutely necessary to live your life on purpose. And, taking action does not have to be overwhelming. Following each intuitive inklings one-by-one leads you slowly towards a big, beautiful creative life.
"Our hormonal and nerve impulses will change to correspond to the new person we are becoming. Once we have achieved this degree of change we are able to do "good deeds" without any expectation of reward. Good deeds (a life purpose direction) is now a natural and spontaneous expression of our beings as a result of our consciousness becoming established at a higher level. We can start by making small changes in our life by focusing on little things."
~ F. Aster Barnwell